assoc
our verdi

wating

proge
part
photo
press
to
tell
FR
link
cont
  • Copyright 2008 ©
  • Design Gi.Ti.erre Parma

THE HONORARY PRESIDENT - 10TH OCTOBER 2008 INTRODUCTION IN MILANO
- GIUSEPPINA STREPPONI - VERDI'S WOMEN - VERDI BENEFACTOR - VERDI A PIACENZA

 

PC

Provincia di Piacenza

On the occasion of the dedication of the Council Chambers of the Province of Piacenza to Giuseppe Verdi on June 28, 2003, a bronze plaque was unveiled in the composer’s memory, attesting to his role as member of the provincial council during the 1889-90 term.
The plaque bears a phrase written by Verdi in a letter to Count Opprandino Arrivabene dated May 27, 1881 that encapsulates the composer's ethical approach to the political world; ten years earlier, in fact, he had become a member of the town council of Villanova d’Arda where he remained in office until 1884. The phrase represents an admonition for those sitting among the ranks of what is the most prestigious governing body of the province:“…What I ask,” Verdi wrote, “is that those who govern the public good be Citizens of great creativity and unblemished honesty.”

storia

Giuseppe Verdi become involved in the administrative and political life of the Piacenza area in 1879 when he entered the town council of Villanova d’Arda, remaining in office until 1884. In the Fall of 1889 he was elected member of the provincial council for the district (today we would say constituency) of Cortemaggiore.
Following the Unification of Italy, Verdi's political leanings gradually changed, becoming a moderate liberal. His approach was pragmatic and he was deeply committed to the farming community of Villanova. He often came into contact with the hardship and poverty of farmers in the Piacenza valley. Verdi belonged to that group of businessmen who also had a strong sense of philanthropy, typical of Anglo-Saxon capitalism in the first half of the 19th century.

This sense of commitment would lead him to found the hospital in Villanova, which was inaugurated in 1888. Elected to the provincial council of Piacenza in 1889, he would never actually attend one of its session. His age (he was in his eighties), musical responsibilities, delicate health and the forty kilometers from Villanova to Piacenza (reached by carriage over poor roads) forced him to remain absent from the provincial counsel, although he remained involved in the administrative life of the Piacenza region. He offered valuable solutions to a number of problems of the Villanova community. Thanks to his involvement, jurisdiction of the town road between Villanova and Cremona was transferred to the province, something that had been many years in the making. Thanks to its take-over by the provincial government, this major road was modernized and improved to meet the new needs of the late 1800s.

 

s.agata

Villa Sant'Agata

osp

Ospedale Villanova

villa

Villa Sant'Agata

 

 

st1dddddst3

st2

st4